As the digital world races forward, the need for efficient and secure electronic signature solutions has never been greater. Therefore, identifying the best eSignature APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) has become paramount for businesses and developers aiming to streamline their document signing processes.
Electronic signatures, commonly known as eSignatures, revolutionize the way agreements and contracts are executed. Gone are the days of printing, signing, and scanning documents, only to repeat the process multiple times. Instead, eSignature solutions have ushered in a new era of convenience, speed, and security. These solutions enable users to electronically sign documents from virtually anywhere, eliminating the need for physical paperwork and reducing the associated costs and delays.
The applications of eSignatures extend far beyond mere convenience. They find utility in a wide range of industries and use cases. From the legal sector, where contracts and agreements demand airtight security and compliance, to the healthcare industry, where patient consent forms and medical records require precise handling, eSignatures have become indispensable.
The real estate sector is another example; professionals in this industry are leveraging eSignatures to expedite property transactions. Financial institutions, on the other hand, are facilitating loan approvals and account openings. These examples underscore the versatility of eSignature solutions in enhancing efficiency and reducing the environmental footprint of paper-based processes.
In addition to their versatility across industries, eSignature APIs offer a unique advantage for developers. By integrating these APIs into their applications, developers can empower users with the ability to sign documents seamlessly without ever leaving the platform. This integration enhances user experience and can make applications more attractive to a broader audience. Furthermore, it reduces the development time and effort required to build custom eSignature functionality from scratch, allowing developers to focus on other core features of their applications.
In the following sections of this article, we will delve into some of the top eSignature APIs available, evaluating their capabilities, ease of implementation, and how they align with specific business and industry needs. Whether you’re a developer looking to enhance your application or a business aiming to digitize your document workflows, these eSignature APIs offer the tools you need to simplify and accelerate the signing process while ensuring security and compliance.
DocuSign is a leading digital transaction management platform that enables users to securely sign, send, and manage important documents electronically. With a user-friendly interface and robust security features, it’s a trusted choice for businesses seeking efficient and legally binding e-signature solutions.
- Extensive Integration Ecosystem: DocuSign API offers a vast selection of integrations with various business software, streamlining the connection with other tools and platforms.
- Embedded Signing Experience: Developers can create a seamless and embedded signing experience within their applications, enhancing user convenience and workflow integration.
- Bulk Sending and Recipients: DocuSign API enables bulk sending of documents to multiple recipients, making it ideal for businesses with high-volume document needs.
- Advanced Mobile SDK: The mobile SDK (Software Development Kit) for DocuSign allows for easy integration of e-signatures into mobile apps, providing a seamless mobile signing experience.
- Template Management: DocuSign API supports template creation and management, simplifying the process of generating commonly used documents and maintaining consistency.
- Comprehensive Workflow Automation: DocuSign API offers extensive workflow automation capabilities, allowing businesses to create complex document workflows and reduce manual intervention.
- Adherence to industry regulations, such as 21 CFR Part 11, Annex 11 (EU), HIPAA, SAFE-BioPharma, and Sarbanes-Oxley
- A significant investment in maintaining globally recognized certifications and attestations, including enterprise-wide ISO 27001:2013 certification, PCI-DSS, and SOC 1 Type 2 and SOC 2 Type 2 reports
Available SDKs: NodeJS, Java, Python, PHP, C#, Ruby, iOS and Android
AdobeSign, from Adobe, provides a comprehensive e-signature solution that seamlessly integrates with popular document creation and management tools. It offers a wide range of features to facilitate electronic signatures and document collaboration.
- Seamless Adobe Integration: AdobeSign API integrates smoothly with Adobe Creative Cloud, offering a cohesive experience for businesses in creative industries.
- Advanced Authentication Methods: AdobeSign API supports advanced authentication methods such as digital certificates and biometrics, enhancing document security.
- Robust Document Storage: AdobeSign API includes advanced document storage and management capabilities, ensuring secure archiving and easy retrieval of signed documents.
- Global Compliance: AdobeSign API is designed to meet compliance requirements in various regions and industries, offering a global solution for businesses with international operations.
- Customizable Signing Experience: Developers can tailor the signing experience to match their brand, creating a consistent and professional appearance for documents.
- Document Generation: AdobeSign API provides tools for generating documents programmatically, streamlining the document creation process and improving efficiency.
- Adobe solutions comply with security standards as well as industry-specific regulations such as HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA and FDA 21 CFR part 11.
- Acrobat PDFs meet ISO 32000 standards for electronic document exchange, including special-purpose standards like PDF/A for archiving, PDF/E for engineering, and PDF/X for printing.
Available SDKs: NodeJS, Java, Python, PHP, C#, Ruby
SignNow is a versatile e-signature platform known for its speed and convenience. It allows users to create, send, and sign documents from any device, making it a practical choice for businesses looking for efficiency.
- Cost-Effective Solution: SignNow API is known for its affordability and competitive pricing plans, making it an excellent choice for businesses with budget constraints.
- Bulk Invite and Sending: SignNow API supports bulk invitations and document sending, which is particularly useful for businesses that frequently send documents to multiple recipients.
- Custom Branding: SignNow API offers extensive branding options, allowing businesses to customize document appearances and maintain brand consistency.
- Multi-Language Support: SignNow API provides multi-language support, making it accessible to businesses with a diverse user base and international reach.
- Document Analytics: SignNow API offers document analytics, providing insights into user interactions with documents, which can be valuable for optimizing document effectiveness.
SignNow is compliant with the following:
- GDPR compliance
- SOC 2 Type II Certified
- PCI DSS certification
- 21 CFR Part 11
- HIPAA compliance
- CCPA compliance
Available SDKs: NodeJS, Java, Python, PHP, C#
Dropbox Sign offers a straightforward and intuitive electronic signature platform designed for simplicity and ease of use. It streamlines document workflows, making it easy to sign, send, and store documents electronically, all while ensuring legal compliance.
- User-Friendly Documentation: Dropbox Sign API provides clear and developer-friendly documentation, making it straightforward for developers to implement e-signatures into their applications.
- Transparent Pricing: Dropbox Sign API offers transparent pricing plans, making it easy for businesses to understand and budget for their e-signature integration.
Audit Trail and Compliance: Dropbox Sign API includes features for generating audit trails and ensuring compliance with industry regulations, which is critical for businesses in regulated sectors.
- Embedded Signing: Dropbox Sign API allows for embedded signing, seamlessly integrating e-signatures into web applications and workflows for a smooth user experience.
- Real-Time Notifications: With Dropbox Sign API, you can set up real-time notifications to keep all parties informed about the status of a document, improving transparency and communication.
Dropbox Sign is compliant with the following:
- SOC 2 Type II
- ISO 27001
- ISO 27018
- Dropbox Sign and Dropbox Forms products are HIPAA compliant
- The U.S. ESIGN act of 2000
- The Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (EUTA) of 1999
- The eIDAS regulation for the EU of 2016 (EU Regulation 910/2014), which replaces the former – European EC/1999/93 Directive
- Privacy Shield
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
Available SDKs: NodeJS, Java, Python, PHP, C#, Ruby
PandaDoc is more than just an e-signature service; it’s a comprehensive document automation platform. It enables users to create, track, and e-sign documents, making it an excellent choice for businesses seeking end-to-end document management.
- Integration: It integrates seamlessly with popular CRM and payment systems, enhancing sales and workflow processes.
- Content Library: Developers can use the content library feature to store and reuse frequently used content elements, saving time during document creation.
- Document Analytics: PandaDoc API provides document analytics, helping businesses track recipient engagement and gather insights to optimize document effectiveness.
- Multi-Language Support: It supports multiple languages, making it accessible to businesses with a diverse user base and international reach.
- Customizable Workflow Automation: Developers can create customized workflow automation rules to match specific business processes, reducing manual tasks and errors.
- PandaDoc is SOC 2 Type 2 certified. They can provide an SSAE 18 SOC 2 report and attestations of compliance, upon request.
- PandaDoc services are hosted on the Amazon AWS platform and AWS computing environments are continuously audited, with certifications from accreditation bodies across geographies and verticals, including ISO 27001, FedRAMP, DoD CSM, and PCI DSS.
Available SDKs: NodeJS, Python, Java, PHP
ZohoSign is part of the Zoho suite of business tools and offers a user-friendly e-signature solution. It helps users automate document workflows, increase efficiency, and maintain document security.
- Seamless Zoho Integration: ZohoSign API integrates seamlessly with the Zoho suite of business tools, ensuring a cohesive experience for users already using Zoho applications.
- Multi-Language Support: It offers multi-language support, making it accessible to a global user base, which is advantageous for businesses with international operations.
- Document Verification: ZohoSign API provides document verification capabilities, helping businesses ensure the authenticity and integrity of signed documents.
- User-Friendly Interface: The API features a user-friendly interface, making it easy for developers to implement and for end-users to navigate during the e-signing process.
- Customizable Notifications: Developers can customize notification settings, enabling real-time updates and reminders to keep all parties informed about the status of documents.
- Zoho Sign is designed and developed within a security-focused software development lifecycle process based on OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project) standards.
- Zoho Sign uses digital signature certificates issued by the following certificate authorities in the specified data centers of operation: GlobalSign GCC R6 AATL CA 2020 (in US, AU, and JP), QuoVadis EU Issuing Certificate Authority G4 (in EU), Capricorn CA 2014 (in IN)
- Zoho Sign, as a part of Zoho, has received the following security and privacy certifications from reputed regulatory bodies worldwide: SOC 2 Type II, SOC 2 + HIPAA, ESQUEMA NACIONAL DE, SEGURIDAD (ENS) – Spain, ISO/IEC 27001, ISO/IEC 27017, ISO/IEC 27018, ISO/IEC 27701, ISO/IEC 20000 (for network operations center and datacenter operations), ISO 9001, CSA STAR Self-Assessment, Signal spam (for Zoho), GDPR, CCPA
Available SDKs: PHP, iOS, and Android
GetAccepted focuses on simplifying the e-signature process for businesses. It offers a secure and efficient platform for signing documents electronically, with a strong emphasis on ease of use.
- Interactive Document Tracking: GetAccept API offers interactive document tracking, allowing users to see when recipients open, view, and interact with documents in real-time.
- Video Introduction: Users can include video introductions in their documents, which can be advantageous for sales and marketing efforts to create a more engaging experience.
- Document Engagement Analytics: The API provides detailed analytics on how recipients engage with documents, helping businesses make data-driven decisions.
- Automated Follow-Ups: GetAccept API enables automated follow-up sequences, enhancing communication and increasing the likelihood of document completion.
- Integrated E-Signatures and Video: GetAccept combines e-signatures with video communication, creating a unique and personalized document signing experience.
- GetAccept uses encryption for data security and compliance with GDPR and SOC 2 Type II standards, eID verification, SSO/SAML. It offers various authentication options.
OneSpan provides secure e-signature and digital transaction management solutions for businesses. It’s known for its robust authentication and security features, making it a preferred choice for industries with strict regulatory requirements.
- Advanced Authentication: OneSpan API offers advanced authentication options, including biometrics and multi-factor authentication, enhancing document security.
- Comprehensive Compliance: It is designed to meet stringent regulatory and compliance requirements, ensuring businesses can use it while remaining compliant with industry standards.
- Flexible Integration: Developers can seamlessly integrate e-signatures into various applications and workflows, accommodating diverse integration needs.
- Customizable Workflows: With OneSpan API, developers can create customizable e-signature workflows tailored to specific business requirements.
- High Security: OneSpan provides a highly secure e-signature solution, employing advanced encryption and authentication techniques to protect sensitive documents.
Prominent Solution Certifications:
- SOC 3 Type 2
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013
- ISO/IEC 27017:2015
- ISO/IEC 27018:2019
- Skyhigh Enterprise-Ready
- ESIGN Act (Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act)
- UETA Act (Uniform Electronic Transactions Act)
- eIDAS (Electronic Identification and Trusted Services Regulation)
- Accredited by Indecopi
Available SDKs: Java, C#, PHP, APEX, iOS, Android
BoldSign is a versatile e-signature solution designed to streamline the document signing process. It offers flexibility and customization options, making it adaptable to various business needs.
- Ease of Implementation: BoldSign API is known for its ease of implementation, making it quick and straightforward for developers to integrate e-signature capabilities.
- Document Templates: The API allows for the creation and management of document templates, streamlining the document creation process.
- Audit Trail: BoldSign API generates comprehensive audit trails for each document, ensuring transparency and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Custom Branding: Users can customize the appearance of documents, enhancing brand consistency and professionalism.
- Flexible Pricing: BoldSign offers flexible pricing plans, making it an advantageous choice for businesses with varying budget constraints.
- SOC 2 Type 2 Compliance
- GDPR Compliant
- BoldSign is hosted on the Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure servers in the US East data center. They use double encryption to protect your data
- They process all payments using Stripe, which has been certified as a PCI Level 1 Service Provider.
Available SDKs: .NET
Foxit eSign is an e-signature service that emphasizes document security and compliance. It’s known for its encryption and authentication features, making it a suitable choice for industries that prioritize data protection.
- Mobile-Friendly: Foxit eSign API provides a mobile-friendly signing experience, catering to users on smartphones and tablets.
- Document Collaboration: It offers document collaboration features, facilitating teamwork and feedback during the document preparation and signing stages.
- Encryption and Security: The API places a strong emphasis on encryption and security features to protect the confidentiality and integrity of documents.
- Advanced Authentication: Foxit eSign API supports various authentication methods, enhancing document security.
- Document Archiving: It includes comprehensive document archiving features, ensuring secure storage and easy retrieval of signed documents.
Foxit eSign is SOC 2 Type 2 compliant and maintains the 5 AICPA trust principles of security, availability, processing integrity, confidentiality, and privacy.
Available SDKs: Java, .NET, Node.js, Python, and Ruby
DigiSigner is a straightforward e-signature platform that focuses on simplicity and ease of use. It enables users to electronically sign documents and collaborate efficiently, making it a practical choice for small to medium-sized businesses.
- User-Friendly: DigiSigner API is known for its user-friendly interface, making it easy for both developers and end-users to navigate.
- Document Verification: The API offers document verification capabilities, helping businesses ensure the authenticity and integrity of signed documents.
- Customization: Developers can customize the e-signature process to align with specific branding and workflow requirements.
- Real-Time Tracking: DigiSigner API provides real-time tracking of document statuses, enhancing transparency and visibility.
- Affordable: DigiSigner offers affordable pricing plans, making it an advantageous choice for cost-conscious businesses.
- Full compliance with all relevant regulations, including ESIGN, UETA and HIPAA.
Available SDKs: Java, C#, PHP
As the digital landscape continues to evolve, embracing eSignature solutions through APIs is not just a choice but a strategic imperative. It’s a step toward greater productivity, reduced costs, and a more sustainable approach to document management. So, explore the possibilities, choose the right eSignature API for your needs, and embark on a journey toward a future where document signing is faster, more secure, and effortlessly integrated into your daily operations.